19.8.12

The Market vs. The Arena


You would have to be dead, literally dead, not to have heard about the so-called “Stock Market Bailout.” With that in mind, I have a question, Still think Stock Market Investing isn't gambling? I’m always quick to point that out to friends and family members who look down their noses when they find out that I “gamble" on sports. I explain that they gamble just as much because they all have money in the stock market in some shape or form.  Stock certificate, mutual funds, 401-Ks, and even bonds are gambles.  My opponents counter by saying, "No, those are investments."  In the spirit of a true smart-ass I use their words against them.

  I explain that I don’t “gamble" on sports but rather I “invest" in winning teams.  To be fair, I have money in the market as well. I’ve read Warren Buffet, Peter Lynch, Robert Kiyosaki and the like, and one thing I’ve learned is that regardless of “what the market is doing” there is always money to be made. Even in today’s economic times, there’s still money to be made. You say, “Fab, all of Wall Street is doing bad now, what are you saying?” I say, NOPE! You know who’s doing well right now, and rightfully so? Campbell’s as in the soup company. As a matter of fact, all producers of canned goods are doing well. In the midst of last week’s 2 historic crashes, when the dust settled Campbell’s was the only BIG winner left standing.

When this logic fails them, I simply point out the definition of both words which are damn near identical.
in·vest - To devote (one's time, effort, or money) to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result.
gam·blean enterprise attempted with a risk of loss and a chance of profit or success.

So when you go to your book to put down those hard earned dimes, think of your wagers as investments. Let’s be honest, if the Detroit Lions or the Oakland Raiders were being traded on the market, other than being a die hard fan, would you ever “invest” in either of those “companies.” I know I wouldn’t. This is just one of the many keys to becoming a Man Crippler.